State Route 1, often called Highway 1, is a state highway that runs along a large length of the Pacific coast of the U.S. state of California. It is famous for running by some of the most beautiful coastlines in the world, leading to its designation as an All-American Road.
Amongst the major cities that Highway 1 passes by are:
- Beach Cities (includes Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach and Redondo Beach)
- Long Beach
- Santa Monica
- Santa Barbara
- Santa Maria
- San Luis Obispo
- Morro Bay
- Hearst Castle (not a city but marked as a control city)
- Pacific Grove
- Santa Cruz
- Half Moon Bay
- San Francisco
- Golden Gate Bridge (not a city but marked as a control city)
- Mill Valley
- Stinson Beach
- Fort Bragg
Things to do in State Route 1
- See Santa Cruz.
- See sea lions near the Fisherman’s Wharf in Monterey.
- Visit the Monterey Bay Aquarium ($25)
- Drive the 17 Mile Drive.
- Swim in Point Lobos or visit the Mision of Carmel.
- Enjoy the scenery of Big Sur.
WARNING: As of early July 2008, Highway 1 through the Big Sur is closed because of a large, fast-moving forest fire.
- Visit Hearst Castle ($24-$30 depending on the tour)
- Visit Solvang and it’s dutch-ambiented architecture. Wine tasting.
- Visit Santa Barbara.